We are sponsoring Marcelle Hecker, a fourth year PhD student from the EPSRC-funded CoSEM Centre of Doctoral Training in the Bristol Composites Institute at the University of Bristol, to carry out her PhD research project in collaboration with North Sails. In this project reclaiming the valuable CF content via a variety of reclamation processes, and remanufacturing the reclaimed, short carbon fibres into aligned, discontinuous fibre reinforced (ADFR) prepreg-like tape. Over the past two months, this ADFR tape, made from reclaimed fibres from an end-of-life sail, was used to manufacture two technology demonstrators – pictured here is a batten. An example of how this ADFR tape could be incorporated into current manufacturing processes used in the sailing industry to produce semi-structural components for yachts.
- The Sargasso Sea is a vibrant and unique ocean ecosystem
- Meet Gilda Da Madelena Luis; a valued member of the OWB
- PlasticFree is taking part in the London Design Festival
- Worldrise Onlus has established two new SEATYs
- Save the Med Foundation are participating in a new project named ‘Tackling single-use plastics in the Adriatic region