OCEANS WITHOUT BORDERS
Oceans Without Borders is a unique collaboration between &Beyond – a luxury travel company with its roots in conservation and experiential guest experiences – and Africa Foundation, a non-profit organisation dedicated to community-led development and conservation of Africa’s natural environments.
Bringing together broad expertise, and working intimately with coastal and island communities, Oceans Without Borders is dedicated to marine conservation and community development at sites where &Beyond and Africa Foundation operate.
Through Oceans Without Borders, &Beyond’s core ethos of Care of the Land, Wildlife and People driven by the delivery of extraordinary guest experiences, has expanded across 3.6 million hectares (9 million acres) of conservation land to include an additional 3 000 km (1 864 mi.) of African coastline, running from &Beyond Mnemba Island, Zanzibar, in the north, to &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve (Sodwana Bay, South Africa) in the south.
Oceans Without Borders is underpinned and guided by its 5 primary objectives:
- To facilitate baseline monitoring and world-class research in order to inform decision making and track progress
- To support the improved effectiveness of marine habitat conservation and the establishment or enlargement of Marine Protected Areas (MPA), seeking higher conservation status.
- Support the protection of iconic species.
- Through collaboration and coordination with local communities, facilitate community-lead development of sustainable marine resource use practices, and alternative revenue and food sources that reduce marine dependency.
- Multiply positive impact on oceans globally through the engagement and education of &BEYOND guests and collaboration with international initiatives.
On 31 December, the first hydrophone (underwater microphone) in Mozambique's Bazaruto Archipelago National Park was deployed by OWB’s Leo Gungulo....
A festive banquet of coral from the Oceans Without Borders Mnemba Island coral nursery. As 2022 rounds up, the team are celebrating a year of...
05 June 2022 marks a milestone for the Oceans Without Borders Mnemba Island team of Community & Conservation rangers. This is when they...